AN UPDATE ON COVID-19 AND HOW TO HELP SMALL BUSINESS (REVISED 2/23/20)
Friends of Hatch,
This is a particularly frightening time for small business owners and their employees. Beyond the scope of our community, the Council on Small Business and Entrepreneurship report that businesses with fewer than 100 workers account for about ⅓ of national employment.
Roughly half of small businesses operate with less than two weeks cash liquidity on hand. Restaurants and retail operate at the slimmest margins — businesses that we, at Hatch Detroit, have worked to support for the past almost-decade.
We’re heartened to see the community come together to create the beginnings of a safety net. Techtown, in partnership with the City of Detroit, Invest Detroit and DEGC has launched an emergency fund for small businesses in the city.
There is more work to be done. The Small Business Association is offering disaster relief loans, but there are many, many businesses whose gross revenues or number of employees disqualify them from this relief. We’re working in tandem with the MEDC to advocate for small businesses in our city with less than 50 employees and who fall short of the gross revenue required for support.
While we continue our advocacy and work in close tandem with Hatch Alumni, we’ve compiled a few ways you can personally lend your support to these businesses through this mission-critical time.
- BATCH BREWING – pre-purchase a beer (contributions in increments of $5) or tip a server (a donation in any other increment) and that money goes straight to their staff
- LA FERIA/CATA VINO – donate here and you’re donating straight to hourly staff whose incomes have been most affected by the sudden decrease in restaurant traffic. La Feria & Cata Vino also offer gift certificates and walk-in retail wine sales
- STREET BEET – donate to keep their two dozen employees afloat who are out of work during their temporary closing
- WARDA PATISSERIE – 100% of funds raised will go directly to hourly staff laid off during the patisserie’s closure
- BUMBO’S – set up by request for the benefit of Hamtramck’s most beloved bartenders
- SISTER PIE – owner Lisa Ludwinski has committed to paying her staff 50% of wages this next pay period on leave. Donate to get her workers back up to their regular wages + tips.
- DETROIT VEGAN SOUL – after closing temporarily closing one of their vacations, several employees were left without work or with limited hours. Donate here and all funds will be distributed to employees based on average hours worked/week.
Shop Small (Online)!
- ILERA APOTHECARY – first, sign up to vote for them through the Black Girl Ventures virtual pitch. Second, pick up some (70% alcohol) purifying hand spray from their online shop. Free shipping!
- LIVE CYCLE DELIGHT – offering livestream workouts when you’re shut in at home. Check out their online boutique too
- SISTER PIE – visit their online pie shop and schedule your order for pick-up. Read more here about their plans to stay open as a neighborhood resource center
- OLD SOUL VINTAGE is running a raffle! $1, $2, or $3 donations buy you your ticket and multiple winners will be announced when the shop re-opens
- COOKING WITH QUE is offering safety delivered meals with a “leave at my doorstep” option
- ROCCO’s ITALIAN DELI – skip the Whole Foods line with a neighborhood grocer. They also offer delivery, curbside pickup, and “take and bake” meals
- DETROIT VEGAN SOUL is open for takeout at their westside location in addition to curbside pickup and no-contact delivery. In times like these, we could all use a healthy meal
- REBEL NELL is offering 20% off sitewide with free shipping. Use the code SUPERWOMAN
- THE LIP BAR – keep up (or upgrade) your AM routine at home. Reduced shipping fees offered site-wide
- ASH & ERIE – so you don’t live in your pyjamas or gym clothes for the next month
- BIRD BEE – serious retail therapy for a seriously unpleasant time. Free shipping on all domestic orders through the 31st
- CORBE COMPANY – pretty up the domestic space you’re spending all your time in with new plant pots, dishes or other ceramic goods
- HUGH – outfit your home office or invest in bar accessories to weather the storm
- THIRD WAVE MUSIC – pick up your music supplies and lean into quarantine
- BUSTED BRA SHOP – we’re in for some lounging these next few weeks. Make it cute and comfortable
- CORIANDER KITCHEN & FARM – offering meals for delivery, plus a pay it forward meal for folks in need
Book in Advance // Gift Cards for Later!
- DETROIT DART COMPANY – celebrate quarantine’s end with 15% off future dodgeball and dart parties
- METAPHYSICA WELLNESS CENTER – self-care we could all look forward to
- NORMA G’s – still open for take out! Gift cards available for those dreaming of a sit-down meal out at a restaurant after this passes
- DETROIT BLOWS – support their technicians and stylists by booking an appointment in advance, shopping their merch or picking up a gift certificate
- THE ROYCE – for each gift card purchased worth $100 or more, the Royce will donate 10% of the sale to staff to help offset the loss of tips from bar sales. They also offer delivery
- DETROIT INSTITUTE OF BAGELS – call DIBS on bagels when the shop re-opens
Thank you for all you do to support the small business community in Detroit. If you wish to make a donation to support Hatch Detroit’s operations and our work in advocacy and technical assistance for small business, you can donate here.